Building work commenced on the Parish Rooms in 1911 on land and with stone given by Mr W M Singer. It was completed in 1912 with a generous donation from Mr William Whitley, as well as donations from the Community.
Since that time, the building has been managed by volunteers made up of Trustees and Committee, which normally meets four times a year.
The building originally consisted of a two rooms downstairs, a billard room belonging to the Men's Club and a Reading Room, while upstairs there was a Concert Hall to seat surprisingly 180 people!
Collaton St Mary Primary School started to use the rooms during the Second World War (in 1940), when pupil numbers were increased by many evacuee children, who arrived from Plymouth, London and Bristol. The Reading Room was rented by the school and the Hall used for assembly, P.E. and school meals until the relocation to the new school building in 2001.
The downstairs rooms are now rented by Collaton Pre-school during the day, while the Hall and Committee Room are are used by many groups, organizations, and regular community events, as well as private parties, receptions etc, who ensure that the Parish Rooms remain an extremely vital resource for this semi-rural community.
One of the oldest Societies still using the Parish Rooms is the Collaton & District Horticultural Society, which was formed after the War. They hold monthly talks, coach trips, and an Annual Show in August.
The purpose of the building has changed over the years since 1912, and today it is used by many groups such as those shown below:
Collaton St Mary Pre-school, Collaton Horticultural Social, local Whist Group, Collaton St Mary Church, Devon Magic Circle, Yoga classes, Local Residents Association, West Country Embroiderers, and also many hirings such as children's parties.