So many memories were recalled at the weekend during the Open Day on Saturday 22nd September, and Cream Tea which followed a Centenary Celebration Service in Collaton St Mary Parish Church on Sunday 23rd.
Amongst the many community events, stage shows, the Social Club, Skittle Team, Horticultural Shows, Whist Drives, wedding receptions, family parties, children parties and school days, all were recalled with laughter and tears!
Three gentlemen, classmates in the 1940s, but not met since, sat outside their old classroom, and were still able to recall the names of all their classmates in a photograph, then joined by a lady who had travelled down from London for the weekend, also in their class – just one of the many reunions which took place.
The church service, led by vicar of Collaton St Mary the Revd Gillian Maude, was well attended by many people revisiting the church after many years. It was a very memorable celebration of the Centenary of the Parish Rooms, but also an opportunity to remember the people, whose generosity and hard work, have left the Community such a wonderful legacy.
2012: Centenary Year
2012 was the Centenary of the Collaton St Mary Parish Rooms, having been opened originally as an Institute and Men’s Club on September 19th 1912.
The building is still an extremely valuable community resource, used daily by Collaton St Mary Pre-School, and regularly by over 20 groups and activities, as well as for meetings and parties.
Article from the Paignton Observer – September 19th 1912:
The new Institute and Men’s Club which has just been erected at Collaton on a site near the church adjacent to the Blagdon Road, was yesterday declared official open by the Vicar of the Parish (Rev. L. W. Browne).
There was no ceremony connected with the opening, the proceedings being quite informal. The Vicar in the presence of a number of friends and parishioners, unlocked the door and declared the Institute open. The Building Committee are the Vicar (chairman), Col. Duffin (secretary) and Mrs. Duffin, Mr. and Mrs. Whitley, Mr. Pope, Mr. Came, Mr. F Mudge, Mr. and Mrs. W Mudge.